Friday, February 02, 2007

the Pink Room


OK--so I finally found exactly what I wanted for my little girl,Kayden's, room!!! The Worth Quilt by Lilly Pulitzer--Yeah! It only took me a year--seriously--nothing was really grabbing me. Since I found out we are having another boy,I knew there would be nothing needed as far as their room goes as I already did all the matching crib/twin accessories, and i am over blue so it was fun to pink out. I was a little bummed that my little girl wouldn't have a sister (and so was she) so we have had fun redoing her room! Now I am just waiting on the valance to arrive and we will be complete with bedskirt/valance/sham/twin and some throw pillows with lots of palm tree accents---I just love her room now---you really do relive your childhood especially with the girls! I love the story behind Lilly Pulitzer and remember as kids I just thought everyone wore bright colors and Jack Roger sandals until i went away to college and felt very out of place--yikes! But down here it is year round style in Palm Beach. I especially love the Worth Avenue prints as it has always been a fairytale dream world to walk over there.
I love this history behind Lilly Pulitzer...

Lilly, a young, sassy New York socialite had eloped with Peter Pulitzer, grandson of the Pulitzer Prize's Joseph Pulitzer and settled in Palm Beach. Peter owned several Florida citrus groves, but Lilly needed a project of her own. So in 1960, with Peter's produce, she opened a juice stand in Palm Beach. Lilly Pulitzer's business was a hit, but making juice made a mess of her clothes. Lilly needed a juice stand uniform, and asked her dressmaker to design a dress that would camouflage the stains. The result? A comfortable sleeveless shift made of bright, colorful printed cotton - pink, green, yellow and orange. It was perfect for the job and became Lilly's first Classic Shift. Today, Lilly Pulitzer has evolved into a clothing and luxury linen designer.

2 comments:

Shell in the City said...

Love the print!! I can relate to Kayden - I am the only girl with 2 brothers & I am the oldest! I always wanted a sister, but wouldn't trade my brothers for anything! She will love it!! Thanks for the Pulitzer story. I have a few Lilly Pulitzer items that I've worn in FL!!

ed's girl said...

i love getting perspective from sisters who only have brothers.
thanks shell!

Brooks, "You're My Everything!"...